Sunday, January 22, 2006

Running in Mysore

Well I'm attempting to get back into shape after taking almost two months off from running. It started Christmas day and I'm finallly starting to feel like I may enjoy this sport again. Yesterday Rob and I spent the day checking out a really awesome palace that I would love to show you pictures of except that we weren't allowed to bring our camera inside. The first thing we did yesterday morning was hike up over a 1000 steps to check out a temple at the top of a hill. On the way up there is Shiva's bull Nindi made out of stone. The thing is huge I think its 5m high so as you can imagine we spent some time resting and taking pictures of it. While hiking up the hill Rob mentioned that it was wierd that I didn't go for a run that morning. I came back with a bunch of bogus excuses and in the end I said I was just lazy and didn't want to get out of bed. Well this is when the beak started yapping, talking about how lazy I was and blah blah blah and this is why he wins at backgammon all the time.

He then threw out the idea that I should run up this hill tomorrow. I think he threw it out as a joke but I had already thought about it and had decided I was going to do it no matter what. Well our total walking time to the top was 32 minutes. We bused down and then had one massive lunch. Well that night Rob and I hit the booze a little harder then we should have and headed to what was supposed to be night club but turned out to be a sausage fest without any women. Its really weird being in a night club without women so you can imagine how long we stayed there. Yup we had one cheap beer then took off. Drank some more and well I like to say I fell asleep and Rob likes to say I passed out and has a picture to prove it.

Well the alarm went off at 7:20 and I was out of bed in a flash. Well maybe not a flash but I did roll out of bed so that was a good start to the run. Put the running shorts, top, and shoes on and walked to the door. The night before I had cut out the map from my guide book and took a compass along with me. You would think I wouldn't need a map since all I should have to do is run towards the giant hill but if you know me you'll know that I get lost in my own backward so off I went. While walking out the door I looked over at Rob who was happily sleeping away dreaming about all the great food he has eaten in India (Its a lot and its starting to show). Well with the map I made it to the base in 13 minutes. It took me 14 minutes to get to the top hitting every single step on the way up. During my run up I was lucky enough to have a few Indian boys attempt to run with me. Poor guys they never stood a chance. When I made it to the top I felt like Rocky except without the energy to throw my hands in the air and shout "Sonja" so instead I headed down the steps to the bottom. Going down was almost has hard as going up because my legs were totally dead but I did make it down in 13 minutes and off I went to run home.

As usual I got lost going home and had to use the compass as well as the map to get home. Well the rest of day was spent travelling instead of walking around because I don't think I would have made two more kilometers.

g

1 Comments:

Blogger Summers said...

You're hilarious! Maybe we should implant a chip in your wrist so we can GPS you whenever you don't show up for dinner!?
But I know the feeling starting up running again. I started about 13 months ago after a long stint of "NOTHING", including no riding, no running, etc. But now that I've been doing it so long, I actually crave to keep going, which I'm sure if anyone has experienced, you have Glenn. Anyway, sounds like there are some amazing places to run over there, keep it up!!!

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Speech Recognition