Monday, June 06, 2005

Gmail Reader

So on the weekend I thought it would be fun to play around with Freetts, which is a text-to-speech synathizer. No knowing what type of application I thought I would right I started goofing off on the web. A person at work said that you can pop your gmail accound so the thought crossed my mind that I should look into it. So quickly my application for Freetts came about. I would write an application that would go to gmail and check to see if I have any new email and if I do read it out for me.

So I quickly got freetts to work with my code that would pop my gmail account. It doesn't sound as nice as I would like so I think I'll hold off on this for a while and think of maybe something else which I can use Freetts for. It was super easy to get Freetts to speak for me. The java code looks like the following:
private void speak(String text)
{
/* The VoiceManager manages all the voices for FreeTTS.
*/
VoiceManager voiceManager = VoiceManager.getInstance();
Voice voice = voiceManager.getVoice(voiceName);

/* Allocates the resources for the voice.
*/
voice.allocate();

/* Synthesize speech.
*/
voice.speak(text);

/* Clean up and leave.
*/
voice.deallocate();
}

Oh well it was fun to set up on my machine, I think the next I'll look at is the other way around speech-to-text and see what I can find in the java world.

G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Speech Recognition